ACA is a nonprofit organization that publishes, distributes, and licenses music from its vast catalog, with scores from 1905 to the present day. Musicians around the world are using our catalog and discovering music on composers.com. ACA can also license online video performances and collect mechanical and streaming royalties for recordings on behalf of its composers.
- Composers join a collective publishing catalog, promoting their works to reach a wider audience, including worldwide distributors of contemporary music and the general public. Affiliated composers run and manage the organization directly.
- The ACA music catalog continues to be curated by its own affiliated composers, professors and leaders in the field of classical music. We add over 100 new works every year.
- ACA does not require assignment of copyright by the composer, though certain aspects of copyright must be exclusively licensed to ACA in order for ACA to manage and administer services.
- The ACA agreement is a revocable Grant of Rights that allows ACA to register as the publisher and be the exclusive administrator for sales, rentals, and other licensed uses of music.
- Affiliated ACA composers share in the sales & licensing income through commissions paid to them by ACA. Earn more income from more sources by joining a publishing and administration collective such as ACA.
New works may be submitted for consideration on an ongoing basis. Any U.S. citizen or permanent resident composer can apply for publishing services at ACA. You must first be affiliated with BMI or ASCAP before applying. The application process for review can take 1 to 3 months from the time the composer's application materials are received.
There are no stylistic requirements for the music published with American Composers Edition. Composers writing contemporary concert music - chamber, orchestral, or choral, at a professional level are invited to apply.
The composer should submit electronically -a minimum of two recent scores in PDF format, two live or studio recordings (audio or video links, or via Dropbox or box.com), a current complete list of works with instrumentation, duration and detailed premiere info, and resume/bio/or CV that contains recent performances listed for the past 3 years.
*If a composer has been active for 20+ years, a custodial plan application may be required in addition to a regular ACA affiliation.
To start the application process, please send materials by email, direct links, and drop box type services. If using Email to send, please use this address: [email protected]
If you have further questions, please read the various information pages on this website or contact us:
Phone: 212 568 0036 General Email: [email protected]
American Composers Alliance PO Box 1108 New York, NY 10040