ACA is a nonprofit organization curating and preserving a vast catalog of American music, with scores from 1905 to the present day. Musicians around the world discover works through composers.com and distributors ACA is working with worldwide. ACA provides education and support for the public, including licensing independent classical music for online video or theatrical filmed performances, mechanical and streaming rights for recordings, and staged dramatic uses on behalf of affiliated composers.
- Composers join a collective publishing catalog, promoting their works to reach a wider audience, including a network of contemporary music distributors worldwide and the general public.
- While ACA acquires some exclusive rights in order to properly represent its catalog, affiliated ACA composers retain full ownership of their copyrights and intellectual property.
- As the Grant of Rights is revocable, you are free to withdraw or reclaim any or all of your works.
- Affiliated ACA composers share in the sales & licensing income through commissions, on eligible scores. Earn more income from more sources by joining a publishing collective such as ACA.
ACA is always looking for great music. Applications for joining the catalog may be submitted for consideration on an ongoing basis, and are reviewed semiannually by ACA's Publishing Committee. Any composer affiliated with BMI or ASCAP is eligible.
There are no stylistic requirements for the music published with American Composers Edition. Composers writing contemporary concert music - chamber, orchestral, or choral, at a professional level are invited to apply.
To apply for membership, a composer should submit the following materials electronically to [email protected]:
- A minimum of two recent scores in PDF format,
- Two live or studio recordings (audio or video links, or via Dropbox or box.com),
- A current complete list of works with instrumentation, duration and detailed premiere info, and
- A resume/bio/or CV that contains recent performances listed for the past 3 years.
- Cover letter appreciated
*If a composer has been active for 30+ years, a custodial plan application may be required in addition to a regular ACA affiliation.
If you have further questions, please read the various information pages on this website or contact us:
Phone: (212) 837-8082
General Email: [email protected]
Snail Mail: PO Box 1108 New York, NY 10040