American Composers Alliance works to preserve classical contemporary music performance materials of the past and present and to nurture the creative future for American composers. Through the administration and distribution of a curated living catalog with 13,000+ works by more than 300 composers, the organization, first formed in the 1930s, continues to provide administrative services and safekeeping for an important part of musical activity in the U.S.
- ACA works with composers, estates, libraries, performers, ensembles, recording projects, and distributors of classical music from around the world.
- ACA provides a professional structure for composers to reach new audiences and patrons, and to earn income through commissions on sales and other licensing provided on behalf of their music.
- Affiliated publishing imprints are American Composers Edition (BMI), Composers Facsimile Edition (BMI) and American Concert Editions (ASCAP).
- The catalog contains over 13,300 titles and represents a broad view of musical expression in the U.S. from 1900 to the present day.
- Support services by ACA are provided for chamber music, choral music, new music, arrangements, opera, dramatic, theatrical, electronic, film, and orchestral works.
- ACA can act as a publishing administrator and distribution agent for scores and performance sets in both print and digital format.
- ACA sells, rents, donates, and licenses, including rights for recordings, website audio and video streaming, documentary films; dance and dramatic uses, chamber and orchestra performances; school classroom uses; audio and video recordings; textbook and article reprints, arrangements, and new editions of music from the past.
- ACA is funded by the generous contributions of Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI), the Aaron Copland Fund for Music, affiliated composers, Special Collections in Performing Arts at the University of Maryland, earned income from its catalog, and many organizations and individuals who support and contribute to preserve this collection of American music.
American Composers Alliance
Composers' Catalog and Archives
PO Box 1108
New York, NY 10040